ore than 160 years ago (1856) a shepherd, Constantin Flitan, left with his sheep from Mărginimea Sibiu and after passing the mountains settled in the Novaci area. His nine children, seven boys and two girls, formed here a strong family that gave ambassadors (Prof. Constantin Flitan, Deputy Foreign Minister, 7 years ambassador to France and the one who organized the visit of Gen. de Gaulle in Romania), renowned lawyers (Angheluta Flitan) or businessmen (Iancu Flitan established the first commercial bank in Novaci).
ne of his nine children, Anghel Flitan (1885, d 1963) continued the family shepherding tradition and became one of the most wealthy people in the area. When he was expropriated by the Communists in 1949, he had over 2000 sheep, 40 cows, a cheese factory (he was the first to export cheese to Europe), the sawmill, one of the first cars in Gorj – a Buick – mountains, and thousands of acres of land.
Mariuta Flitan (b. 1909, d. 1989), one of four children of Anghel Flitan married Pantelie Moculescu (b.1902, d.1991), Oltean from Poienari, captain of the Romanian Army in World War II, and a teacher in Cernadia. They are the grandparents who, in 1925, built the mansion on the site of which our guesthouse is today. After significant renovations, but keeping all the original structure, we opened the mansion to the public in September 2007.